Connect with us

World

Anti-Brexit protesters mass in British capital for rally

Published

on

Anti Brexit protesters mass in British capital for rally

LONDON: Hundreds of thousands of pro-Europeans from across Britain were expected to march through London on Saturday calling for another referendum on EU membership with the country mired in political paralysis over Brexit.

Opponents of Britain’s departure from the European Union will gather near Hyde Park from noon (1200 GMT) before converging on Westminster in what organisers are calling the “Put it to the people march”.

Speakers including Scotland’s First Minister Nicola Sturgeon, London Mayor Sadiq Khan and opposition Labour deputy leader Tom Watson will then address the crowds at a mass rally outside parliament.

“Brexit is a complete and utter mess,” Khan said on the eve of the event.

“I’ll be marching on Saturday with people from every part of our country — from every walk of life — to demand that the British people get the final say.”

The protest — set to be one of the largest in the capital in decades — comes after EU leaders this week granted a delay to Brexit, prompting Prime Minister Theresa May to make a renewed bid to win MPs’ backing for her divorce deal.

However she faces daunting odds with lawmakers deadlocked for months over how to implement the 2016 referendum vote to leave, reflecting bitter divisions nationwide.

If she succeeds, Britain — which was staring at a cliff-edge deadline of March 29 for leaving the EU — will depart on May 22 under the terms of the withdrawal agreement the prime minister struck with Brussels last year.

But if lawmakers defeat the accord again, as expected, London must outline a new plan or face a no-deal Brexit as early as April 12 — unless it decides to request another extension and hold European Parliament elections in May.

Any further delay would likely prompt further calls for another referendum as the only way out of the impasse.

 

 

app

World

Top diplomats of S.Korea, U.S. hold phone talks ahead of Trump’s visit to Seoul

Published

on

Top diplomats of S.Korea U.S. hold phone talks ahead of Trumps visit to Seoul

SEOUL: The top diplomats of South Korea and the United States held phone talks ahead of U.S. President Donald Trump’s visit to Seoul later this month, Seoul’s foreign ministry said Monday.

During her visit to Russia on Sunday night (Moscow time), South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha talked on the phone with U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo about Trump’s visit to Seoul and the situation on the Korean Peninsula, the ministry said in a statement.

Trump was scheduled to visit Seoul on the sidelines of the Group of 20 (G20) summit in Osaka, Japan on June 28-29.

During the 15-minute dialogue, Kang and Pompeo shared the view that Trump’s trip to South Korea will be a crucial opportunity to discuss ways on the complete denuclearization of and the settlement of permanent peace on the peninsula.

Trump’s Seoul visit would come since the denuclearization talks between the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) and the United States have been stalled after the second summit between top DPRK leader Kim Jong Un and Trump, which ended with no agreement in late February in the Vietnamese capital of Hanoi.

Kang and Pompeo agreed to continue close consultations on the peninsula issues, sharing the need for consultations on situations in the Middle East, including the recent attack on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman.

The South Korean foreigner minister has been in Moscow for talks with her Russian counterpart Sergey Lavrov on Monday.

 

 

 

 

 

 

app

Continue Reading

World

Boeing’s embattled chief faces tough crowd at Paris Air Show

Published

on

Boeings embattled chief faces tough crowd at Paris Air Show

PARIS: Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg will have his work cut out for him at the Paris Air Show this week as he tries to reassure airlines and industry partners over the fate of its flagship 737 MAX plane, indefinitely grounded after two fatal crashes.

Aviation regulators meeting last month were unable to determine when the popular jet might again be allowed to fly, causing costly headaches for airlines worldwide.

“An air show is a good opportunity to connect with customers, suppliers and fellow aerospace manufacturers to strengthen our partnerships and drive industry safety,” Muilenburg posted on Twitter over the weekend.

He has already apologised and vowed to come up with a fix for the 737 MAX’s automated anti-stall system, blamed for an Ethiopian Airlines crash in March and an Indonesian Lion Air crash in October, which together claimed 346 lives.

But in comments to journalists later Sunday he acknowledged the work they still had to do.

“We have work to do to win and regain the trust of the public,” said Muilenburg.

“We come to this salon focussed on safety. We come with a sense of humility and learning, still confident in our market — but it’s a humble confidence.”

But reports that US safety regulators may have let Boeing engineers self-certify some of the plane’s equipment have battered confidence in the company.

“It’s had a very clear impact on Boeing’s brand and reputation,” said Pascal Fabre at the consulting firm Alix Partners.

The crisis has also rattled pilots as well as national aviation regulators who worry about a lack of sufficient oversight at the American heavyweight.

And on the financial front, it could provide an opening for archrival Airbus to win over new customers for its own A320 family of single-aisle jets, which constitute by far the biggest share of airlines’ fleets.

 

 

 

 

 

 

app

Continue Reading

USA

Trump to launch 2020 campaign in retiree-friendly Florida

Published

on

Trump to formally announce his re election bid on June 18

WASHINGTON: Ronald, Don and John are living the good life in this haven of Republican retirees in Florida, a city designed for the aging, with paths everywhere for golf carts and where residents have plenty of time to campaign for their president, Donald Trump.

The Villages is a pleasant, immaculately clean, fast-growing retirement town in central Florida. The average age of its 75,000 inhabitants is 71. Some two-thirds are Republican.

One afternoon not long ago five retirees all wearing Trump pins reviewed lists of recent arrivals in the city in order to send them invitations to join Republican-affiliated clubs.

An hour’s drive to the south, in Orlando, the US president will be formally launching his re-election campaign on Tuesday.

“We’re very proud,” Ronald McMahan, vice president of one of the clubs,said. “We’re proud to be Republicans, we’re proud to be with other Republicans and very proud that Mr. Trump has chosen to open his campaign here.”

Trump’s choice of Florida was no accident. If he is to win a second term in the White House in 2020, he will have to win in Florida again.

 

 

 

 

app

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

News Pakistan Trending

News Pakistan TV, one of Pakistan’s leading multimedia news providers including latest and featured stories, offers exclusive information 24/7 regarding web-only content/ information based on insights and opinions. We also offer multimedia projects gathered by our trusted and dedicated correspondents.