LONDON: A British man was jailed by a London court on Friday for orchestrating a massive cyber attack against a telecommunications company in Liberia two years ago.
Daniel Kaye, 30, was sentenced to 32 months in prison after pleading guilty to computer misuse and criminal property possession from late 2016 to early 2017.
The court heard the self-taught hacker was paid around $30,000 (26,000 euros) by a rival to disrupt the systems of mobile phone company Lonestar MTN, Liberia’s biggest internet provider.
The so-called distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks overwhelmed its networks and meant its servers couldn’t operate properly, prosecutor Robin Sellers told the court.
The firm spent $600,000 (523,000 euros) fixing the problem, losing tens of millions of dollars in revenue, he said.
Kaye’s lawyer, Jonathan Green, had argued Lonestar’s estimates of its losses were “unsupported by any evidence”.
“Nobody died, nobody’s life was imperilled, at worst Lonestar customers suffered slow internet speeds,” he argued.
One arrested, drugs seized in operation
ATTOCK: The police on Wednesday arrested one accused and seized drugs in an operation.
Police said Sub-inspector, Izhar Ahmad, during routine patrolling stopped a truck for snap checking but the driver tried to escape from the scene.
The police arrested the driver accused Zaroon Shah, a resident of Jalalabad.
During snap checking, 16 packets of 8000 grams heroin worth million of rupees was recovered from the truck.
Police have registered a case against the driver.
Further probe was underway.
3 human traffickers arrested
ISLAMABAD: Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) Rawalpindi Circle Wednesday arrested three accused allegedly involved in human trafficking.
According to details, the accused were identified as Abdul Qayyum, Ikram Gul and Mazhar Iqbal, a press release said.
The further investigation is in progress.
Jakarta ex-governor freed from prison after blasphemy sentence
JAKARTA: Jakarta’s former governor has been released from prison, his assistant said Thursday, nearly two years after his blasphemy conviction fanned fears over religious intolerance in the world’s biggest Muslim-majority nation.
Basuki Tjahaja Purnama — the Indonesian capital’s first non-Muslim governor in half a century and its first ethnic Chinese leader — left Mako Brimob prison in Depok, outside Jakarta, at around 7:30 am local time, Ima Mahdiah told media.
Supporters of the former governor, who is popularly known as Ahok, gathered outside the prison, chanting and cheering his new-found freedom.
The release ends one of the most tumultuous chapters in Indonesian politics in recent memory.
Purnama had been a popular politician who won praise for trying to clean up the traffic-clogged megacity and clamp down on corruption before his imprisonment.
But his downfall came quickly after comments he made on the campaign trail during a re-election bid saw him accused of insulting Islam.
The filmed remarks, which went viral online, sparked mass protests in Jakarta, spearheaded by radical groups opposed to a non-Muslim leader and encouraged by his political rivals.
He lost the election to a Muslim challenger and was then sentenced to two years’ jail in May 2017.
It was an unusually harsh sentence — prosecutors had only recommended probation for the now 52-year-old.
“He was picked up by his son Nicholas Sean Purnama” after being released, his assistant Mahdiah said. “He will spend time with his family first, resting.”
Purnama’s case drew international headlines and a wave of criticism, including from the United Nations, which urged the country of 260 million to revise its decades-old blasphemy law.
The charge against him centred on a remark he made to voters about his Muslim rivals using a Koranic verse to trick people into voting against him, which judges ruled amounted to blasphemy against Islam.