Connect with us

Technology

China’s 2nd internet court opens in Beijing

Published

on

BEIJING: China’s second internet court opened in Beijing on Sunday as authorities step up measures to protect business transactions, personal information, and intellectual property online.
The Beijing Internet Court is given the jurisdiction to handle certain types of Internet-related cases that should be tried by a primary-level people’s court in Beijing in the first instance. Disputes in online shopping, service contracts, lending, copyrights, domains are among the typical cases.
An Fengde, vice president of the Beijing Higher People’s Court, said the number of internet-related cases has been rising rapidly over the past few years.
In the first eight months this year, the city’s courts tried 37,631 such cases, up 24.4 percent compared with the same period last year, he added.
An said the new court would strengthen the online protection of digital assets, intellectual property, personal information, and business secrets as part of efforts to build a prosperous, orderly and safe cyberspace.
The court, located in Zhongguancun Fengtai Science Park, is staffed with 38 judges with an average of 10 years trial experience and will be open 24 hours a day through its digital litigation platform, said Zhang Wen, president of the internet court.
Proceedings of each case – from lawsuit filing to mediation, hearing, and judgment announcement — will be accessible online. Appeals can be lodged and heard by an intermediate court or a special court such as the intellectual property court.
“We strive to make it easier for people to file a suit, boost trial efficiency while maintaining impartiality and system safety,” Zhang said.
Internet courts are a response to China’s large and ever-growing online activity.
According to the latest survey by the China Internet Network Information Center, China has 802 million internet users, about 71 percent of whom are also online shoppers. The value of online retail sales reached 4.08 trillion yuan (about 594 billion U.S. dollars) in the first six months of 2018.
The country’s first internet court opened in the e-commerce hub of Hangzhou in August 2017. In its first year, the court heard about 12,000 cases and closed about 10,600, the Supreme People’s Court said last week as it released rules on internet courts’ jurisdiction and operation.
It also announced that the third internet court would be opened in the southern city of Guangzhou this month.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Technology

Warning issued over attacks on internet infrastructure

Published

on

SAN FRANCISCO: Key parts of the internet infrastructure face large-scale attacks that threaten the global system of web traffic, the internet’s address keeper warned Friday.

The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) declared after an emergency meeting “an ongoing and significant risk” to key parts of the infrastructure that affects the domains on which websites reside.

“They are going after the internet infrastructure itself,” ICANN chief technology officer David Conrad told media.

“There have been targeted attacks in the past, but nothing like this.”

The attacks could date back to 2017 but have sparked growing concerns from security researchers in recent weeks, which prompted the special meeting of ICANN.

The malicious activity targets the Domain Name System or DNS which routes traffic to intended online destinations.

ICANN specialists and others say these attacks have a potential to snoop on data along the way, sneakily send the traffic elsewhere or enable the attackers to impersonate or “spoof” critical websites.

“There isn’t a single tool to address this,” Conrad said, as ICANN called for an overall hardening of web defenses.

US authorities issued a similar warning last month about the DNS attacks.

“This is roughly equivalent to someone lying to the post office about your address, checking your mail, and then hand delivering it to your mailbox,” the US Department of Homeland Security said in a recent cybersecurity alert.

“Lots of harmful things could be done to you (or the senders) depending on the content of that mail.”

 

app

Continue Reading

Technology

Twitter co-founder Evan Williams leaving board

Published

on

SAN FRANCISCO: Twitter co-founder and one-time chief executive Evan Williams is stepping down from the board, leaving the one-to-many messaging service to focus on “other projects.”

Williams will depart the Twitter board at the end of this month, according to a filing with the US Securities and Exchange Commission on Friday.

“It’s been an incredible 13 years, and I’m proud of what Twitter has accomplished during my time with the company,” Williams said in the filing.

“I will continue rooting for the team as I focus my time on other projects.”

Williams throttled back his role in the San Francisco-based startup eight years ago, turning his attention to a new endeavors including creating popular online publishing platform Medium.

Williams ceded his role as Twitter chief executive to Dick Costolo in 2010. Co-founder Jack Dorsey returned as Twitter chief in 2015, having held the position when the startup was nascent.

Dorsey said in a Tweet that Williams was the reason he joined startup Odea, an endeavor that led to him, Williams and Biz Stone creating Twitter.

“I appreciate you, Ev!” Dorsey tweeted on Friday.

“We’re going to miss your voice in our board conversations.”

Twitter has become a high-profile, and sometimes controversial, global stage for communication since it was launched in March of 2006.

“Thank you, @jack and @biz for starting this crazy company with me-and continuing to make it better and better,” Williams tweeted.

“I’m going to ride off into the sunset (or…down Market Street), so I can focus on some other things.”

 

 

app

Continue Reading

Asia

S. Korea to begin 5G service in March

Published

on

SEOUL:  South Korea’s finance minister said today that Seoul will become the first country in the world to start commercial operations of fifth-generation mobile network services next month.
Hong Nam-ki made the announcement at a meeting with senior officials on innovation-led growth in Seoul. KT Corp., South Korea’s leading wireless and fixed-line services provider, carried out a world first
trial service of its 5G system during the PyeongChang Winter Olympics last year. 5G data transmission speeds are 40-50 times faster than the existing 4G network or long-term evolution (LTE) and are expected to open a wide range of new business opportunities for the communication service sector.
The system, moreover, allows greater numbers of people to communicate with each other at the same time and promises to open vast markets for devices and services. The finance minister also said KT and two other local competitors – SK Telecom Co. and  LG Uplus Inc. – will invest some 3 trillion won (US$2.6 billion) this year to set up seamless 5G connectivity in the country going forward.

 

 

 

 

app

Continue Reading

News Pakistan Trending