LIMA: Peru’s ex-president Alberto Fujimori said from his hospital bed Thursday that a return to prison would be a “death sentence,” the day after a court revoked a pardon for crimes against humanity.
Fujimori, 80, addressed a plea to Peru’s President Martin Vizcarra and the South American country’s judiciary in a video recorded at his bedside.
“Please do not kill me. If I return to prison my heart will not support it. It is too weak to go through the same thing again. Don’t sentence me to death. I can give no more.”
A court on Wednesday annulled a presidential pardon for Fujimori, ending more than nine months of freedom granted under the shock pardon issued by a previous president in December. However, immediately after his re-arrest Fujimori was admitted to a clinic with heart problems.
Fujimori was pardoned last December on humanitarian grounds, but critics said the move was in exchange for Fujimori’s son helping then-president Pedro Pablo Kuczynski avoid impeachment. Fujimori was 12 years into a 25-year jail sentence handed down for ordering two massacres by death squads between 1991 and 1992. He had ruled Peru with an iron fist between 1990 and 2000.
IS-claimed suicide attack kills 15 in N. Syria
QAMISHLI: A suicide attack claimed by the Islamic State group killed 15 people including a US serviceman today in the northern Syrian city of Manbij near the Turkish border.
Nine civilians and five US-backed fighters were among the dead in the attack on a restaurant in the flashpoint city, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said. Rubble littered the outside of the eatery in the city center, footage from a Kurdish news agency showed, and its facade was blackened by the blast.
The Britain-based Observatory, which relies on a network of sources in Syria, said it was the first such suicide attack in the city against the US-led coalition fighting IS in 10 months. The bombing came as Kurds who control a large swathe of northern Syria rejected a Turkish plan to set up a “security zone” on the Syrian side of the border.
Accountability Courts convicts two including a banker for embezzlement
KARACHI: Accountability Court of Karachi here on Wednesday sentenced five years rigorous imprisonment and Rs 15 million and Rs 10 million each to Sheikh Mohammad Asghar and Nazir Ahmed Toni accused of usurping state property and embezzlement of public money.
The two were convicted under Reference No.65/2007, 66/2007. 67/2007 and 16/2009 with case titled as State vs Sheikh Mohammad Asghar and others.
Case of depositing pay order meant for Excise and Taxation Department in fake account for personal gain against the accused
was well established by the public prosecutors leading to conviction announced by the court, said a government spokesman.
According to details the branch account was opened by Nazir Ahmed Toni as the Bank Manager of the National Bank of Pakistan, Dockyard branch, Karachi.
The prosecution made out the case against accused of illegally depositing pay order worth Rs.3,035,102/- issued by Pakistan Steels.
Op Radd-ul-Fassad: Four TTP terrorists killed in Hangu
RAWALPINDI: Four terrorists of proscribed Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) were killed in an intelligence based operation (IBO) conducted by security forces on a terrorist hideout in Hangu on early Wednesday.
The terrorists were killed during exchange of fire, said a press release issued here by Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR).
The killed terrorists were involved in suicide attack in Kalaya, Hangu on November 23, last year.
The IBO was carried out as part of the ongoing Operation Radd-ul-Fassad.