KARACHI: National Action Bureau (NAB-Karachi) here on Thursday announced to have arrested Ex DG KDA Nasir Abbas along with his two accomplices Javed Ahmed alias Javed Kancha and Raza Qazalbash in a land fraud case.
Accused persons were arrested in an inquiry instituted on the charges of conducting fake open public auction and tampering with title records of around 50 precious plots of KDA for doling out these plots to favorites worth Rs 2 billion, against illegal gratification.
The said plots are around 400 in number, whereas 50 such plots are part of Block 6, Gulistan e Jauhar Karachi. Nasir Abbas was said to be taken in custody from Central Prison Karachi whereas other two accused persons were arrested late last night from their residences and produced before the Accountability Court for physical remand today.
As per the preliminary interrogation, accused Javed Ahmed alias Javed Ahmed (Kancha) a retired KDA official was reappointed by Nasir Abbas and had been serving as his PSO for two years, allegedly as the main front man of Nasir Abbas. He has been charged for processing forged title records of plots for illegal sanction and has been hand in glove with Nasir Abbas in organized crime of fake auctions and illegal allotments of precious plots to their blue-eyed persons.
The preliminary interrogations further revealed that accused Raza Qazalbash is brother in law of Nasir Abbas and has been charged for misappropriating precious properties in posh area by way of forgery in title documents, worth more than Rs 200 million. He has been acting as an active abettor of Nasir Abbas and has been handling, layering and managing illegal proceeds of offenses committed by Nasir Abbas for embezzlement of KDA’s assets.
Relevant piece published earlier: Justice Javed Iqbal Chairman National Accountability Bureau (NAB) said that NAB’s top priority is to recover the looted money of affectees of housing/cooperative housing societies, Mudarba/Musharka, willful loan defaults under 31-D, bank frauds/scams etc and to return all affectees at the earliest with the intention to bring the corrupt into justice. He said these remarks while addressing at a ceremony at NAB Headquarters adding that today Rs. 110 Million has been returned to 809 affectees, said a press release here Saturday. He said that similar ceremonies were at NAB Peshawar, Lahore and Karachi where NAB had returned billions of looted money to govt institutions, affectees, and private persons. Chairman said NAB has so far distributed Rs. 296 billion among different departments, affectees after recovering from the corrupt elements. He said NAB is firmly sticking on the policy of Accountability for All. The chairman soon after assumption of the responsibilities of chairman NAB had ordered apprehending corrupt elements, proclaimed offenders and Absconders.
Resultantly 226 accused were apprehended besides filing corruption references against 217 persons in the last seven months. Special teams were constituted to nab the corrupt persons. 25 proclaimed offenders and Absconders have been arrested in last seven months. Cases have also been filed against the arrested persons in the respective Accountability Courts. The Chairman NAB said he intends to convene a meeting of CDA,RDA,ICT,LDA, PDA,QDA and KDA officers to chalk out a joint strategy to impede against fake housing societies from looting people’s hard earned money in order to aware people about the illegal Housing/cooperative societies so that they should always invest in Legal Housing societies having NOC and layout plan approved from concerned govt authorities. He said NAB does not have any concern with pre or post elections as NAB is working as per law and will continue to work as per law which is our main aim and responsibility. He said that NAB conducts alleged complaint verifications, inquiries, and investigations as per law. In case of lack of incriminating evidence, NAB closes the case on merit as NAB does not believe in taking revenge being a transparent and merit-based organization. NAB believes across the board accountability against corrupt sans caring about their position or status. (Published on 26th May 2018)
News agencies in Europe to fight fake news
ALBANIA: News agencies in Europe have joined forces to fight the growing threat posed by fake news.
In a resolution adopted last week in Tirana, these commit to developing effective tools and rules to enable journalists and Internet users to fight misinformation as well as to promote reliable media and educate users to surf in the digital environment.
The news agencies that attended the international conference ‘News Agencies vs. Fake News,’ organized by the ATA news agency on 3- 4 December in Tirana, also agreed to cooperate directly to check the news and discover in due time fake news and improve the transparency of online news, which entails a consistent development of professional journalism.
The purpose of these measures is to mitigate the impact of fake news on communities at the local, national and international level, to highlight the entities that are at the origin of the dissemination of fake news and to strengthen the activity and profile of news agencies as real news providers.
The aim is also to raise public awareness of the danger posed by fake news to our societies and to media professionals regarding the impact of the phenomenon on the entire media environment, to enhance the skills of journalists in identifying and avoiding fake news and to promote real, impartial and accurate news.
The resolution, adopted on the last day of the Tirana conference and published on 10 December, was initiated by 13 news agencies: ATA (Albania), PAP (Poland), CNA (Cyprus), ANA-MPA (Greece) , BTA (Bulgaria), KosovaPress (Kosovo), TASR (Slovakia), ANADOLU (Turkey), AzerTac (Azerbaijan), AGERPRES (Romania), TANJUG (Serbia), HINA (Croatia) and UKRINFORM (Ukraine).
The signatories call on all news agencies, whether state-funded or private, as well as international news agencies, to join this Resolution.
The heads of the news agencies present at the Tirana conference insisted on the need to address the global phenomenon of fake news, underlining that new technologies allow the rapid spread of fake and confusing pieces of news that violate one of the fundamental human liberties, namely the right to information.
Cancellation of 30-year lease due to non-utilisation
KARACHI: Secretary Land Utilisation, Government of Sindh, has instructed the concerned authorities to cancel a 30-year lease that is being misused.
According to the notification “it has come to the notice of this office that the different allottees that had been granted 30-years lease for agricultural/poultry-cattle-dairy farming purpose and not utilizing the same purpose, but unfortunately conditions of the lease agreements are not fulfilled and land is being wrongly utilized for various purposes. In some cases, allottees are involved in sale/purchase of 30 years lease that is totally illegal and causes lost of billions of rupees to government exchequer by occupying and raising construction over the said land.
“Keeping in view, the concerns above you are requested to cancel all leases of 30 years lease as well as short-term leases which have violated the required terms and conditions of the lease. The deputy commissioners are directed to ensure that the conditions set forth in leases referred above may be followed/implemented in letter and spirit. Failure shall remember to ascertain procedure in law. This matter may be given on TOP PRIORITY and report of which may be sent to this department”.
Probe against MDs SNGPL, SSGPL
ISLAMABAD: A 4–member Fact Finding Committee has been constituted to probe the allegations leveled against MD Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limited (SNGPL) and Sui Southern Gas Pipelines Limited (SSGCL).
According to a notification issued here today, Uzma Adil Khan, chairperson Oil and Gas Regulatory Authority (OGRA) has been nominated as chairperson of the committee and members included Qazi Saleem Siddiqui, DG, (PC), Shahid Yousaf DG (Gas) and Imran Ahmed DG (LG). The committee has been directed to submit a report within 72 hours.
The committee has been authorized to get the services of an expert witness to assist in its proceedings. The committee has been constituted in pursuance of presentation to the PM on load management, PLNG supply and demand and off-take of furnace oil. The allegations against MD, SNGPL, and SSGCL included negligence in reporting of facts to the ministry or incompetence to deal with operational issues. Withholding of information from the government and overall systemic governance failure of SNGPL and SSGCL.