Connect with us

Crime

NZ massacre video distributors get death threats

Published

on

New Zealand shooters

WELLINGTON: People charged with possessing or distributing the video of a gunman’s deadly rampage at two New Zealand mosques last month have been getting death threats, local media reported today. 

Footage of the horrifying massacre, in which 50 people were killed, was live-streamed and quickly spread around the internet in the hours after the attack. Authorities warned people against sharing the video, which they declared illegal in New Zealand, as a wave of revulsion rippled throughout the country. Six people appeared in court on Monday charged with possessing or spreading the footage of the 15th March atrocity. 

Prosecutor Pip Currie said “death threats have already been made” against some of the defendants, the Christchurch Court News website said. The names of five of the six cannot be published because of a court order. Judge Stephen O’Driscoll released three of the defendants on bail, ordering that the suppression order remain in place and warning against anyone taking the law into their own hands. 

“It would be wise to let justice take its course without any outside interference, by anyone either supporting those who have come before the court, or anyone wishing to exact some form of justice on them before they come before the court,” O’Driscoll said. One of the accused, an 18-year-old, was also charged with possessing a photo of one of the mosques with the caption “target acquired”.

app

Relevant pieces published earlier: 

NZ man admits abusing Muslims at Christchurch mosque

New Zealand mosque attack suspect charged with murder

New Zealand shooters back gun control after massacre

Turkey’s Erdogan ‘strongly condemns’ New Zealand mosque killings

New Zealand orders top-level inquiry into mosque massacres

Azaan echoes throughout New Zealand a week after Christchurch mosque massacres

New Zealand rugby’s Crusaders to mull name change after mosque massacre

Graves prepared as New Zealand looks to bury mosque massacre dead

New Zealand PM vows gun law reform after mosque terror attacks

NZ police probe mosque attack links after man dies in stand-off

US deserves a leader as good as New Zealand prime minister: NYT

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Asia

Sri Lanka Easter Massacre toll rises to 310

Published

on

COLOMBO: Police spokesman here told NPTV that Easter bombings death toll has risen to 310, while five hundred got injured. 

President of Sri Lanka has given army war-time powers enabling them to arrest suspects.  It is pertinent to mention here that the forces used such authority throughout the 26-year-long civil war that ended in 2009.

It is pertinent to mention here that despite the arrest of forty suspects (including the driver of a van allegedly used by suicide bombers), an IED was found inside a vehicle near St. Anthony’s Church, here at Jampettah Road, Kochchikade yesterday (Monday 22nd April). It was disposed of by BDU via controlled explosion. 

A relevant piece published earlier:

SriLanka: 8 suicide bombings killed 210, injured 450

 

 

.

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Asia

Sri Lanka bomb attack victims: Pak NA observes 1-minute silence

Published

on

National Assembly session commences

ISLAMABAD: The members of National Assembly on Monday during the session at the Parliament House observed one-minute silence in memory of the citizens of Sri Lanka who lost their lives in bomb attacks.
The house also offered fateha for the departed souls of those who were martyred in two separate attacks in different parts of Balochistan recently.
Later, Speaker National Assembly announced a six-member panel of chairpersons for conducting the proceedings of the house in the absence of Speaker and Deputy Speaker.
The Speaker named MNAs Tahir Sadiq, Jaffer Khan Leghari, Khurram Dastgir, Attaullah, Naveed Qamar and Asad Mehmood as members of the panel who would chair the proceedings of the House when the Speaker and Deputy Speaker would not be present in the house.
The Speaker announced the members for the panel according to section 13(1) of the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business of National Assembly 2007.

app

Continue Reading

Asia

Sri Lanka Govt.. declares state of emergency

Published

on

Sri Lanka parties file court challenge

COLOMBO: Sri Lankan authorities have ordered a state of emergency to be introduced from midnight Monday following the deadly Easter attacks, the president’s office said.
The special measures are being brought in “to allow the police and the three forces to ensure public security,” the statement said, referring to the army, navy and air force.

 

Continue Reading

News Pakistan Trending