SEOUL: Samsung announced Thursday it will inspect units of its highly anticipated folding smartphone after some reviewers reported screen damage.
A handful of US-based reporters were given the flagship Galaxy Fold phones, priced at $1,980, ahead of the model’s official release next week, and they reported screen issues within days of using the devices.
“The screen on my Galaxy Fold review unit is completely broken and unusable just two days in,” Bloomberg’s Mark Gunman tweeted.
And Dieter Bohn of The Verge said: “Something happened to my Galaxy Fold screen and caused a bulge… It’s broken.”
Samsung spent nearly eight years developing the Galaxy Fold, which is part of the South Korean tech giant’s strategy to propel growth with groundbreaking gadgets.
“We will thoroughly inspect these units in person to determine the cause of the matter,” Samsung said in a statement after reports of the screen damage emerged.
The firm suggested some reviewers encountered screen failures because a section of the display was removed.
“The main display on the Galaxy Fold features a top protective layer, which is part of the display structure designed to protect the screen from unintended scratches,” it said.
“Removing the protective layer or adding adhesives to the main display may cause damage. We will ensure this information is clearly delivered to our customers.”
Some of the reviewers, including Bloomberg’s Gunman, had removed this layer.
CNBC’s Steve Kovach said he had not, but still faced major problems with the device.
Samsung is the world’s biggest smartphone maker, and earlier this month launched the 5G version of its top-end Galaxy S10 device.
But despite the recent announcements about its new high-end devices, Samsung has warned of a more than 60 percent plunge in first-quarter operating profit in the face of weakening markets.
The firm is also no stranger to device issues.
Its reputation suffered a major blow after a damaging worldwide recall of its Galaxy Note 7 devices over exploding batteries in 2016, which cost the firm billions of dollars and shattered its global brand image.
Samsung has said it will release the Galaxy Fold as scheduled on April 26.
US delays Huawei ban for 90 days
WASHINGTON: US officials have issued a 90-day reprieve on their ban on dealing with Chinese tech giant Huawei, saying breathing space was needed to avoid huge disruption.
A Commerce Department filing said the delay does not change the ban imposed by President Donald Trump on national security grounds, an action with major implications for US and Chinese technology firms.
Instead, it grants a temporary license that will allow Huawei to continue doing business with American firms.
“The Temporary General License grants operators time to make other arrangements and (gives) the Department space to determine the appropriate long term measures for Americans and foreign telecommunications providers that currently rely on Huawei equipment for critical services,” said Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross.
“In short, this license will allow operations to continue for existing Huawei mobile phone users and rural broadband networks.”
U.S. ban not to affect Huawei’s high-end and 5G products: Ren
SHENZHEN: The U.S. restrictions will definitely not affect Huawei’s high-end products, particularly in the 5G sector, said Ren Zhengfei, founder and president of Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. on Tuesday.
The Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) of the U.S. Department of Commerce earlier put Huawei and its affiliates on an “Entity List,” which would restrict the sale or transfer of U.S. technologies to the company.
At present, the ban will have an impact on Huawei’s low-end products, Ren said.
Huawei should not be restricted just because of its leading technology position, Ren told reporters.
“Our work is to benefit the whole humankind,” he said, adding that Huawei’s 5G equipment would greatly reduce the cost of the global telecom networks construction.
Huawei says discussing with Google how to deal with US ban
BEIJING: Huawei founder Ren Zhengfei on Tuesday said the company was discussing with Google how to deal with a US ban on companies selling or transferring US technology to Huawei.
The talks come after the US internet giant, whose Android mobile operating system powers most of the world’s smartphones, said this week it was beginning to cut ties with Huawei in light of the ban.
Google is a “highly responsible company,” Ren said, and that the two sides were “discussing how to create a response plan”.