LAHORE: The Supreme court on Tuesday ordered all departments to cooperate with Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) in Asghar Khan case.
The court also directed FIA Director General Bashir Memon to continue work on his post till the completion of investigations. The three-member bench headed by Chief Justice Mian Saqib Nisar passed the orders while hearing an application filed for implementation of the verdict in Asghar Khan case. At the outset of proceedings, the Chief Justice observed that investigations should be completed without any wastage of time, saying that no further delay would be tolerated in the matter.
DG FIA Bashir Memon submitted that statement of former premier Muhammad Nawaz Sharif had been received, in response to a court query. At this, the Chief Justice observed that persons who had been summoned by FIA must appear before it. He then directed all departments including Defence Ministry to cooperate with FIA.
The Chief Justice also remarked that former president Gen. (retd) Pervez Musharraf should show how brave he is by returning to the country as the obstacles in his path have been removed. Politicians Javed Hashmi, Mir Hasil Bizenjo, Abida Hussain, Ghulam Mustafa Khar and former ISI chief Asad Durrani were also present in the court.
A relevant piece published earlier: The court sought written reply from 31 respondents, including Nawaz Sharif and Javed Hashmi, in the Asghar Khan case by June 9. A three-member bench headed by Chief Justice Mian Saqib Nisar resumed the hearing of the implementation of the landmark judgment in the Asghar Khan case. During the course of proceedings, Chief Justice questioned why former prime minister Nawaz Sharif failed to appear before the court even after being issued notices. Attorney General informed the court that Nawaz Sharif would be represented by his lawyer as he was looking for a legal counsel to represent him. However, the court granted time to Nawaz Sharif to seek legal counsel and to submit reply. The court also took back the notice issued to Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) leader Khursheed Shah saying Shah has received a notice by mistake. Subsequently, the court while directing all respondents to submit written reply till June 9 adjourned further hearing till June 12. On October 19, 2012, the apex court had issued a 141-page verdict, ordering legal proceedings against Gen (retd) Beg and Lt Gen (retd) Durrani in a case filed 16 years ago by former air chief Air Marshal Asghar Khan. (Published on 6th June 2018)
Fawad for countering fake news spread
ISLAMABAD: Minister for Information and Broadcasting, Chaudhry Fawad Hussain on Monday stressed the need for evolving a strategy to counter fake news being spread through media.
“We were facing problems regarding fake news having a negative impact on the country’s economy”, he stated. He said figure and facts of news coming from government’s sources should be authenticated or correct. He said that anybody could quote such piece of a news item for vested interest. There is a need to tackle that type of news, he stressed.
Commenting on Prime Minister’s cabinet meeting held today, he said the premier Imran Khan was happy over the performance of State Minister for Communication, Murad Saeed, adding that he [PM] was contemplating to give Mr. Murad Saeed a portfolio as a full minister.
He said that prime minister had asked the ministers about future plan of their respective ministries. He added that premier was more concerned about the performance of the ministries given to the concerned public representatives.
CDA to start operation in E-12 to retrieves land
ISLAMABAD: Capital Development Authority (CDA) has decided to start operation in sector E-12 to take possession of its land illegally occupied by the encroachers.
CDA had launched E-12 in 1989 but development work of the said sector could not be started due to illegal possession of the occupants. CDA official said that Enforcement Directorate had issued notices to all illegal occupants of land in sector E-12 to vacate its land by December 13. The areas included Dharik Mohri, Bhaikra Koh, Bhaikra Fateh Baksh, Bara Dari, Sari Saral, and Golra, where CDA would conduct the operation to retrieve the land, he added.
He said that the civic body in its notice warned the illegal occupants, to vacate the land within a week, otherwise legal action would be taken against them. He said the focus of CDA administration was to retrieve and secure possession in all those sectors, which are under adverse possession so that these stalled sectors could be developed on priority to facilitate the allottees who were allotted plots in these sectors many years ago. According to details, the Capital Development Authority (CDA) had retrieved and taken possession of 300 Kanal of land in sector E-12 after a special operation two years ago.
Sindh madrasas to be monitored
KARACHI: The Sindh Apex Committee Monday decided to carry out monitoring of Madrasas (religious seminaries) and educational institutions to check their source of income, expenditure, and curricula.
Briefing media persons after the apex committee’s meeting, Adviser to Sindh Chief Minister on Information, Law and Anti-Corruption Barrister Murtaza Wahab said the committee also decided to hold talks with the management of religious seminaries situated on major roads of Karachi for their shifting. He said the meeting was informed that a working group had been formed under the chairmanship of the Sindh Home Secretary for the registration of Madrasas and monitoring of other public and private institutions. The meeting was also apprised that a draft legislation had been prepared for the registration of religious seminaries which had been sent to the Law Department for vetting, he added.
He said the apex committee was told that law and order situation in the province was exemplary and more integrated interventions were required to make it durable. The adviser said the committee had decided to amend the law to cope with street crimes. The crackdown would be launched at the secondary markets where stolen two-wheelers were sold. He said to keep watch on terrorists’ movement, security along the Punjab and Balochistan borders would be tightened. Under the Safe City Project, Murtaza Wahab said a pilot project would be launched soon in red zone areas, which would be later expanded to other parts of the city and to the entire province. The apex committee, he said, was also informed on the process launched by the Sindh government to rehabilitate the affectees of anti-encroachment drive and also about a review petition filed in the Supreme Court.
The adviser said the Karachi Safe City Project would not be initiated under the Public Private Partnership. The National Database and Registration Authority (NADRA) and other institutions, which had expertise on the subject, had been requested to submit their proposals for the project. Not only CCTV cameras but a swift response mechanism would also be integrated into the Safe City Project so as to take timely action in case of any untoward incident, he added.
Police, Traffic, Fire Brigade and other emergency services would be part of the response mechanism, he said. The advisor said the meeting was informed that a police station had been established on the Sindh-Balochistan border and 69 police posts were set up along the border where 381 police personnel had been deputed to keep an eye on the entry points of bordering areas. Murtaza said the apex committee, which met with Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah in the chair, reviewed law and order situation in the province, implementation of the National Action Plan, and investigation and prosecution of anti-terrorism cases.
The meeting was attended by Sindh Minister for Works and Services, Adviser, Corps Commander Karachi, Chief Secretary, Inspector General of Police, Rangers Director General and others. The advisor said the committee decided to bring amendments in the Anti-Terrorism Act (ATA) to control street crimes in the metropolis and as per reforms, a special magistrate would hear the cases of street crimes under Section 30 of CRPC. Under the law three to seven years’ sentence would be awarded to criminals, he added. He said the committee had decided to seek the assistance of Pakistan Army’s Cyber Wing to control cybercrime the province. He said it was also decided that Rangers, Jail Department personnel and relevant agencies would work together for coordination in the investigation and prosecution of criminals, while training workshops would be arranged for the capacity building of new prosecutors.