Connect with us

Europe

Shipwreck hunter to search for missing Sala’s plane

Published

on

LONDON: A shipwreck hunter has been hired by the family of missing footballer Emiliano Sala to look for his plane underneath the water. 
David Mearns of Bluewater Recoveries said on Monday that two fishing boats were searching the sea around the island of Guernsey as part of the search. Guernsey police suspended the official search on Thursday after the plane went missing on January 21 with Cardiff City striker Sala and pilot Dave Ibbotson on board.
But there have been calls for the search to continue including from Argentine footballing legend Lionel Messi and the country’s President Mauricio Macri. Top players were among the more than 4,500 contributors to a crowdfunding page which has raised over 300,000 euros ($343,000) to look for Ibbotson, 59, and 28-year-old Sala, who moved from French club Nantes earlier this month.
“We have managed with the funds we have raised to resume the searches,” Mearns said at a press conference in Guernsey airport that was shown by British broadcasters. Mearns said a survey vessel equipped with sonar and a remotely operated vehicle was being readied in the port of Southampton in southern England to begin the underwater search “on the weekend, most probably on Sunday”.
The search will focus on an area of roughly 25 square nautical miles where the plane disappeared from radar. He said the depth of the sea in the area was only around 65 meters (2015 feet), going down to 110 meters at most. “This will be one of the shallowest projects I have done in my career,” he said. “The biggest complication is the weather,” he said.
“We cannot guarantee that we will find the plane,” he told reporters, adding: “The family is determined to get answers that they don’t have right now”. Sala’s mother and sister, who arrived in Britain last week, on Monday flew over the area where the plane went missing. Mearns said Sala’s family now had “a better appreciation” of the efforts made by rescuers from Britain, France, and Guernsey who carried out the search last week.

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Crime

No Pak casualty in Amsterdam attack

Published

on

No Pak casualty in Amsterdam attack

ISLAMABAD: The Foreign Office today confirmed that there was no casualty of any Pakistani in the Amsterdam tram attack. 

Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ spokesman took to the twitter to proclaim: “Our Ambassador has informed that all Pakistanis are safe after yesterday’s terrorist attack in the Netherlands’, with reference to the statement of Pakistan’s envoy Shujjat Rathore in The Hague.

Readers may recall that yesterday (Monday 18th March) a Turkish-origin gunman had opened fire at his ex-girlfriend traveling on a tram in the Dutch city of Utrecht, killing one person and wounding several others.

 

Continue Reading

Europe

Shooter kills 3 on Dutch tram, wounds 9 more, police suspect terrorism

Published

on

No Pak casualty in Amsterdam attack

THE HAGUE: The mayor of the Dutch city of Utrecht says that three people have been killed in an attack on a tram and adds that a “terror motive” is the most plausible option.

Jan van Zanen also said that nine have been wounded, three of them seriously.

Van Zanen said that “we cannot exclude, even stronger, we assume a terror motive. Likely there is one attacker, but there could be more.”

Dutch authorities have named a 37-year-old Turkey-born man as linked to the tram shooting.

Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte says that the Netherlands has been hit by an attack in Utrecht and that terrorism isn’t excluded, after one person was killed in a tram shooting along with an unknown number of wounded.

Rutte says that “our nation was hit by an attack in Utrecht. It is clear there were shots on tram passengers in Utrecht, that there are wounded,” without specifying how many. He said that “a terror motive is not excluded.”

Rutte said that throughout the nation, “there is a mix of disbelief and disgust.”

He said “if it is terror attack then we have only one answer: our nation, democracy must be stronger that fanaticism and violence.”

Dutch authorities have named a 37-year-old Turkey-born man as linked to the tram shooting.

Dutch authorities have named a 37-year-old Turkey-born man as linked to the tram shooting in the central Dutch town of Utrecht.

Police showed the picture of a bearded man sitting on public transport and dressed in a dark blue top with a hood tucked in his neck. Police identified him as Gokmen Tanis.

It was the first image distributed of someone linked to the shooting. Police warned citizens not to approach the man but call authorities instead.

app

Continue Reading

Europe

UK’s delay in departure from EU

Published

on

Hitachi freezes British nuclear project

LONDON: British Parliament voted on Thursday (14th March) to seek a delay of the country’s departure from the European Union,  averting chaotic withdrawal on the exit date of 29th  March. 

According to details, the House of Commons voted 412-202 to ask the bloc to postpone Britain’s exit until at least  30th of June EU officials have said they would only allow a delay if Britain either approves a divorce deal or makes a fundamental shift in its approach to Brexit.

It is pertinent to mention here that after the passage of even three years  Britain voted to leave the EU, its future is now in the bloc’s hands.

Relevant pieces published earlier: 

British MPs set to vote on no-deal Brexit

British Parliament rejects Brexit Deal by 149 votes

British MPs to vote on draft Brexit deal tomorrow

London mayor urges Brexit delay 

British opposition raises prospect of second Brexit referendum

 

Continue Reading

News Pakistan Trending