ATHENS: Three former Greek football federation presidents received five year suspended prison sentences on Thursday for their part in a 13 million euros ($14.65 million) health fund scandal.
Two other men who had served on the federation’s board when the funds destined for free amateur player health checks were misused were also found guilty.
Former federation presidents Vasilis Gagatsis, Sophocles Pilavios, and Giorgos Girtzikis, as well as former board members Giorgos Sindoris and Giannis Oikonomidis, said they would appeal the verdict.
The scandal involved a health fund which was set up in 2005 but was never implemented despite the convicted men running the scheme until 2013 with a loss of around 13 million euros for the federation.
Five mosques vandalized in Birmingham!
BIRMINGHAM: Windows of at least five mosques had been damaged by means of sledgehammer(s) here last night.
According to local police, the first act of vandalizing took place on Birchfield Road at 2.30 am. Less than an hour later mosque on Slade Road, Erdington was attacked.
Birmingham Council of Mosques told that not less than five mosques had been damaged: “We were deeply horrified to hear a number of mosques were vandalized during the early hours of this morning. Birmingham’s mosques are a place of worship, serenity and a source of peace and tranquility. We are appalled by such acts…” Counter-Terrorism Unit is investigating the attacks in order to ascertain the motive of the suspect.
Member of Parliament for Bromsgrove & Home Secretary Sajid Javid took to the twitter to comment on the incidents:
Tehmina leads delegation in Pak-EU dialogue
ISLAMABAD: Foreign Secretary Tehmina Janjua on Wednesday headed the Pakistani delegation in the 5th session of Pak-EU Political Dialogue in Brussels.
Foreign Office Spokesman Dr. Mohammad Faisal, in a tweet, said the European Union delegation was led by Deputy Secretary-General EEAS Jean-Christof Belliard.
He said the entire spectrum of Pak-EU relations, including global and regional issues discussed.
School bus set on fire to protest against immigrants’ drowning!
MILAN: Ousseynou Sy, a 47-year-old Italian of Senegalese origin, had hijacked and set a school bus harboring 51 students on fire here today.
Luckily all the kids escaped unhurt before the incendie engulfed the vehicle. A child even claimed that the driver had threatened to douse them with petrol and set them alight.
The act was to register a macabre protest against the drownings in the Mediterranean as transpired by the shouting of the culprit, now in police custody: “Stop the deaths at sea, I’ll carry out a massacre”.